Autism Education

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dog is Good,Why pet therapy enhances your life!

Pets are fun and keep you active, they make you see the world differently. I recently got a dog and she has been the most wonderful thing that has happened. I have had cats in my childhood but I took the plunge into the doggy world. One thing I had in mind was how could I use my pup to help those with disabilities? I have worked with many families and children and found that most families with kids with needs can't deal with the high maintenance of dog life. But many families I know love dogs and have even offered to care for my pet out of pure love for animals. I believe animals can bring out the best in everyone. I have noted that as I walk Lycos she turns heads and at the very least makes people smile or laugh. Having pets increases our emotional wellness and can help us adapt better. For example if your dog has to go outside in the you peel yourself off the couch and relieve the dog. Responsibility of having a dog is very rewarding as they give unconditionally of themselves. Dogs unlike people don't require conversations but basic needs. I was thinking of having Lycos as a pet therapy dog. My first idea was to implement a program that helped elderly folks have the opportunity to have dog visits to boost self esteem and keep them social. People always strike up a conversation with a dog because many have pet of their own. This is how I made the connection that pets can help reduce the anxiety of those with high functioning autism. It can also be a starting ground for conversation which can be socially awkward. Just as Temple Grandin has written those on the spectrum have very extra sensitive sensory functioning which has a lot to do with our environment and how we react in it. It is a fact that dogs can help calm those they come in contact with, they truly feed off the energy given to them. Recently I got in touch with a local Boston family who has a child on the spectrum who loves dogs. The family lives in a complex that doesn't allow for pets. She was wondering how she could make it work for her son to have a dog without actually having a dog. Pet therapy for an afternoon with Lycos ended up wonderfully as her son got a chance to play and run and feed Lycos. I realized how much this opportunity meant for her son. Temple has said "my emotions are simpler than those of most people. I don't know what complex emotion in a human relationship is.(Grandin,Thinking in Pictures.1995)". She has difficulty understanding emotions but has said how working with animals has helped her better understand emotions. The concept of how an animal responses emotionally is simple. We can know that by watching they are either one of two emotions happy or sad/angry. Using this knowledge and understanding that dogs are simplified entities they're able to help us generalize and expand to more complex emotions. These experiences are valuable and helps us build up to the idea of complex emotion in a natural way. Children who have many therapies can feel the pressure to perform. If a dog can bring "Joy" then let it! I have decided I want to have meet ups with other families who could benefit from dog therapy. We found that during the hour and half session that her son interacted appropriately with the dog, was able to ask questions and worked on turn taking. There was also a great deal of laughs and smiles and giggles and indeed it was contagious. It was great to see what love my dog Lycos could spread. Who knew the love I missed before having a dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment