Autism Education

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Applied Behavior Analysis 3.0 the updated version

Do I think ABA works, indeed it does. However it isn't the only method for therapeutic intervention. I understand that just because something works doesn't always lead itself to be the be all and end all of tools. I have a vast experience through my work as a private consultant to working in companies as well as public schools to have learned that ABA sometimes doesn't work for all children. One of my favorite lines is "If you have met one person with Autism, well you have just met one person with Autism". The spectrum is vast in it's range of ability and my biggest challenge is educating those around me as to how specific autism is for each and every child on the spectrum. My background is in Traditional ABA theory and methods but I have learned over the years that ABA needs to be updated and modified to some degree. Just as our world changes so does the way we need to educate children. We have more technology and educated staff who are willing to try new methods and train classroom teachers to embrace children on the spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment